Our network

Starbucks remained closed Monday following deadly shooting |

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Starbucks remained closed Monday following deadly shooting

A local Starbucks where a man was shot and killed over the weekend remained closed Monday.

The shooting happened at the coffee shop located at West Warm Springs Road and Rainbow Boulevard. Pedro J. Garcia was arrested Monday pending an initial court appearance on murder, robbery, burglary and weapon charges in the shooting that took place Sunday morning.

Starbucks held a counseling session with all of its workers Monday evening to help them cope with this traumatic incident.

"I feel pretty good surprisingly," according to William Wright, employee. "I'm not one to let things get to me so easily."

Wright said he came face to face with the alleged killer. Wright said he was manning the register when Garcia walked into the store.

"He was just standing there, you know, and he looked up at my eyes and he looked back -- and down and looked back up at me," Wright said.

Wright said Garcia was suspicious but calm, and then a short while later he heard two shots ring out.

"It never occurred to me they were gun shots until people were scurrying in the lobby," said Wright.

Wright said he and some of the other employees took cover in a back room.

"We were all packed in there," according to Wright. "I was calming everyone down saying look it's as simple as that, if he comes in, we bash him."

Wright says they used a refrigerator to block the door, and they stayed in the room for close to an hour until police escorted them out.

"They took extra precaution," Wright said. "They had guns pointed at us, and they gave us a good pat down."

Wright says he's ready to return to work, but after what has happened, he says he plans to be extra vigilant.

"I just thought this guy was gonna come in like a normal customer and buy a drink, but it just goes to show you, you need to be more aware," White said.

Loyal Starbucks customers stopped by the store all day Monday to drop off flowers at a memorial.

"I was hoping to catch one of the employees or just get it back there, but I can come back tomorrow," said Ryan Kelsey, a customer. "I live two minutes away. I come here all the time, I just -- it just sadden me and made me heavy, so I just wanted to add a drop of light to the world I guess."

Starbucks is expected to reopen Tuesday at noon.