Our network

Christmas returns to family who suffered house fire | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Christmas returns to family who suffered house fire
News

LAS VEGAS -- A family trying to keep warm in the cold weather were lucky to escape a house fire started by a space heater.

The fire destroyed a bedroom and it just so happens that's where the family kept all the gifts they had received on Christmas.

On Thursday, the family got a special visit from the very same firefighters who put the fire out. When the family saw what the firefighters brought with them, they were in tears.



The firefighters arrived at the home near Bonanza Road and Lamb Boulevard as if they were responding to an emergency, but it was a life or death situation, it was a family in need.
they came like it was an emergency.

Operation FireHEAT, or Holiday Emergency Assistance Team, replaced the gifts lost in the fire. There was a television, an Xbox and even clothes.

Mother Danielle Thomas was moved to tears and couldn't thank the firefighters enough.

"It was just a miracle, they came, they came and just gave us all these wonderful, beautiful presents," B.L. Thomas said.

He is 16-years-old, the oldest of the three kids in the family. He was sleeping when the fire started early Tuesday morning.

"I didn't know what to do at the time, except to try and get some water to put it out, but I couldn't," Thomas said. "I just made sure everyone was out of the house."

Firefighters were able to save the home, but the presents were a total loss.

Operation FireHEAT goes out and raises money and then hand delivers toys and other items to families touched by fire.

"And now what we can do today, is because they've lost everything they've gotten for Christmas and they had the catastrophic incident with the fire, we can go back in today and bring some normalcy and replace their Christmas," said Ron Kline, Operation FireHEAT.

The Thomas family says they can't thank firefighters enough for saving their home and now their Christmas.

Operation FireHEAT started eight years ago.




















News